Monday, July 11, 2005

My Other Passion - Embroidery

God Bless Our Home
I've told you lots about my knitting, but I haven't said a word about my other craft - embroidery. I've been doing embroidery since I was little red-headed stepchild of about 10 years old. I'm not sure how I learned....maybe from my sister, maybe from my mom....maybe all by myself. I remember growing up in the 70's and buying embroidery transfers of mushrooms, flowers, hearts and peace signs. We would iron them onto our clothes, and then embroider them with colored thread.

When I was in high school, my boyfriend's mother taught me to cross-stitch. I spent MANY years doing cross-stitch after that. I don't think I have a single project in my house to show for all that work. I gave them all away.

But, my favorite was always pure embroidery, because the finished product looked so REAL. The cross-stitch designs always have that "blocky" look to them. But, embroidery just flows, with no squares to deal with.

I started the "God Bless Our Home" work about 15 years ago. I should have finished it a long time ago, but I have set it down over and over again throughout my lifetime. It's crewel embroidery, which means you use wool yarn. You have to be so careful when working with wool, because the yarn will tear if you're not gentle. My goal is to finish that piece before another year goes by. : )
Embroidery on a Dresser Scarf

Recently, I've been fascinated with dresser scarves. They are so pretty and delicate. So, I have decided to make one of my own. I bought a kit on eBay, and purchased the floss at Hobby Lobby. I think it will turn out very beautiful. I might just have to use it as a piano scarf!

No comments: