Tuesday, May 23, 2006

Easy Summer Grilling


I have found the EASIEST way in the world to cook on our gas grill. The method is called "indirect heating", and it always makes perfect meats. My husband and I have been cooking this way for the past month, and we can't get enough of it. I have made pork chops, steak, chicken and fish - and they have all turned out PERFECT. The finished meat tastes like it came from a restaurant. I'm not kidding.

Here's how you do it:

Choose the meat you want to grill (steak, pork chops, chicken or fish)
Marinate the meat for at least 15 minutes. (I usually marinate it for an hour for better flavor)

Make sure the grill is nice and clean. Then, turn on both burners, close the lid and let it preheat for about 5 minutes on high.

Now, turn off one burner, and put the meat on that side (YES - the side that is not lit. Trust me.) Turn the other burner down to medium, and Close the lid.

Walk away, and prepare whatever else you want to go with the meat, letting the meat cook with indirect heat for 10 minutes.

Now, turn over the meat, leaving it on the unlit side. You can brush on some sauce now if you want. (Don't use the marinade sauce, since it had the uncooked meat in it.) Close the lid, and cook the meat for 15 minutes more.

Continue preparing side dishes, beverages, bread or salad.

When you come back to the grill, check the meat for doneness, and put it over the flame for a little while if you want, just to get those black grill lines. You can also add more sauce now if you want. I usually "flame" it for about a minute or so. Now, the meat will be done - grilled, moist, and tender - PERFECT!

Here are my variations for marinating the meat. I use a gallon size plastic bag, mix all the ingredients, then add the meat and shake it all around. Then I put it in the refrigerator and turn it over a few times for the next hour or so. When I put the meat on the grill, I put a little of the sauce on top of the meat, then I discard the rest.

2 or 3 Cuts of Steak: 1/2 cup oil, 1/4 cup balsamic vinegar, 2 Tablespoons Orange Juice, 1 teaspoon Minced Onion, 1/2 teaspoon Old Bay Seasoning, 1/2 teaspoon Garlic Powder, and 1/4 teaspoon of each of the following: Sea Salt, Coarse Ground Black Pepper, Oregano, Sage.

2-4 Pork Chops: 1/2 cup oil, 1/4 cup white vinegar, 2 Tablespoons Lemon Juice, 1/2 teaspoon Old Bay Seasoning, and 1/4 teaspoon of each of the following: Sea Salt, Coarse Ground Black Pepper, Basil, Sage, Oregano, and Ginger.

2 -4 Pieces of Skinless Fish: 1/2 cup olive oil, 1/4 cup balsamic vinegar, 2 Tablespoons Lime Juice, 1/2 teaspoon Old Bay Seasoning, and 1/4 teaspoon of each of the following: Sea Salt, Black (or White) Pepper, Basil, and Thyme.

2 -4 Pieces of Boneless, Skinless Chicken Breast: 1/2 cup oil, 1/4 cup balsamic vinegar, 2 Tablespoons Lemon Juice, 1/2 teaspoon Old Bay Seasoning, and 1/4 teaspoon of each of the following: Sea Salt, Black Pepper, Sage, Cumin, and Basil.

If you want, you could use your favorite salad dressing as a marinade. You could also use barbecue sauce on the pork chops or chicken while you're grilling.

Happy Grilling!

3 comments:

Bluebird49 said...

Hey Sandy--this sounds really interesting and so much better than standing by the grill wondering what's burning up!! Now I can have all the time I need to fix salds, etc. and still get perfectly done meats (my dh doesn't grill!)

Bluebird49 said...

Hey SAndy--thanks--this will definitely make my grilling easier. Dh doesn't like to grill, so I do ALL of them meal. It's too hard to stand out there in the heat and keep things from burning....so now I can do it ALL myself!!

Shandeh said...

It is SUPER easy, and the meat tastes WONDERFUL!