Friday, June 24, 2005

Cool Story about My First Spinning Wheel

Let me tell you the story of how I found my very first spinning wheel for a great price.....

I started knitting about 2 years ago, and have been ADDICTED to it ever since. My family and friends never see me without needles and yarn in my hands. Since nice yarn is so expensive, I started wondering if I could possibly learn to spin my own.

I started reading every book I could find on spinning (I found about 10 books at the library and checked them ALL out). I also looked at all the spinning websites on the internet. (Cool stuff there!)

Anyway, back to the story of my spinning wheel....I tried to find a spinning wheel that I could afford for about two months. I watched eBay everyday, scoured the local antique and consignment stores, etc. I didn't think I would ever be able to afford to have a spinning wheel of my own. (I'm a church organist and piano teacher, so I don't have a ton of money.)

One day, I found a wheel at a local consignment store that was selling for $160. Even that seemed like more than I could afford, so I asked the person at the counter if I could buy it for $120. She said, "No, but it will be discounted by 20% if it doesn't sell in 60 days." I asked her when the 60 days would be up, and then I marked my calendar. I went by the store at least once a week to make sure it was still there. I played with the wheel, and learned how to get a good rhythm with the foot pedal.

I didn't really know if it was a good spinning wheel or not. I hungrily read the books I had gotten at the library, searching for information on how spinning wheels work. I kept asking myself, "Is that wheel at the consignment store a good one, or will I make a mistake by buying it?" I pulled up more information on the interet and started dreaming of actually having my own wheel. I pictured myself in a long flowing dress, under a weeping willow tree by a stream....spinning the hours away, while a little happy lamb frolicked nearby. (What a fantasy!)

Each time I went back to the consignment store, I would check the wheel again, adjusting the cord that kept getting knocked off the wheel by children or mindless adults. I caressed the soft wood, and said, "One day, you will be mine!" (lol) I think I've been a little obsessed, don't you?

Finally the day arrived when the 60 days were over, and I hopefully went to the consignment store once more. I kept saying to myself, "It's probably gone now. Somebody else probably bought it yesterday." I tried to resign myself to the fact that I might have to use my drop spindle for a little while longer. I walked in the door, and squinted to see where the wheel has been for the last 60 days. I saw the edge of it, peeking from behind a large chest of drawers! I felt like it was calling to me, "Sandy, are you finally taking me home?"

I carefully controlled my steps through the store, so I wouldn't damage any of the antiques, and finally got to the wheel. Nothing had been damaged, thank God. I looked it over again real good. Since I had read so many books on spinning wheels, I was able to evaluate it a little better now. I realized that it was actually a very good wheel! It was spinning well, and the pedal worked good. It didn't squeak, and it was good and solid. Nothing needed to be tightened or repaired. I decided to go for it.

I walked back up to the counter and asked if I could purchase it for 20% off since it has been there for over 60 days. They said that I could, and I handed them the money. The nice lady at the counter carried it up to the front for me, and then she said, "Oh....here is a box of stuff that goes with the wheel!"

To my amazement, in the box, there were all sorts of goodies! The owner's manual for the wheel said that it is an "Ashford Traditional Spinning Wheel" (Cool!) There was a nice set of hand carders, and several books on spinning. Along with this, there were about 11 small bags of different fibers for me to practice spinning! My eyebrows flew up and my mouth fell open when I realized the great deal I had just gotten! Get this.....I only paid $130 for all that stuff.

THANK YOU GOD!

No comments: