Monday, June 27, 2005

Sandy's Spicy (But Not Too Spicy) Chili Recipe!

Today was a beautiful, sunny day, and I spent a large portion of it knitting. I haven't done that in ages. It was a great way to spend the day. (I did clean the kitchen a little, so I deserve a medal.) Marvin was at work, and I was wondering what I should make for dinner. So, I looked in the kitchen cabinets and decided to make chili. It was starting to get cloudy outside and looked like it might rain, so I figured chili would be a good choice.

While I was perusing the kitchen for all the ingredients, my son Noah called from his dad's house and asked me to come get him and drive him to work. So, I grabbed my purse and ran out the door. (He only gave me a few minutes warning.) I got him to work about 5 minutes before he had to clock in, so once again.....where's my medal? :)

On the way back home, I stopped at the grocery store to pick up some sour cream, because Marvin and I love to add a dollop of sour cream to our chili. I also got a loaf of bread. Luckily, I had just enough cash in my purse to pay for both.

When I got home, I took the ground beef out of the freezer and threw it in the microwave to defrost. I then continued my search for chili ingredients in the cabinets. Two cans of kidney beans - check. One can of chopped tomatoes - check. Packet of chili seasoning - Oh no! My ever present stash of chili seasoning packets was depleted. NOW what to do? I had spent all my money buying sour cream and a loaf of bread. I didn't want to raid Marvin's coin jar. Plus, I didn't really feel like going back out to the grocery store after 5:00. The place is a madhouse when people get off work.

So, I came back here to the computer, and frantically searched the internet for a recipe to make chili seasoning. There were lots of good recipes, but I didn't have all the ingredients for any one of them. So, I wrote down different ingredients that I saw, and I went to my spice rack to see what I could scrounge up.

Here's the result of my scrounging and mixing:

Sandy's Spicy (But Not TOO Spicy) Chili Recipe
by Sandy Davis

Make dry seasoning by combining all these ingredients in a small bowl:
  • 1 tsp onion powder
  • 1 tsp garlic powder
  • 1/2 tsp dry minced onion
  • 1 Tablespoon chili powder
  • 2 Tablespoons dry ground mustard
  • 1 tsp paprika
  • 1 tsp cayenne pepper
  • 1 tsp oregano
  • 1 tsp thyme
  • 1 tsp basil
  • 1 tsp salt
  • 1/2 tsp pepper
  • 1/2 tsp sugar
Stir together, and set dry ingredients aside.
(Looks like chili seasoning to me!)

Brown 1 pound of ground beef in a dutch oven. Drain off all the oil.
Put back on burner and add dry seasoning that was set aside earlier.
Add 1 cup water and mix well.
Add 1 tablespoon grape jelly
(the "secret ingredient" for every chili recipe on the internet!)
Stir to dissolve grape jelly.
Add 1 can chopped tomatoes
Add 1 can light red kidney beans
Add 1 can dark red kidney beans
Stir to mix ingredients.
Add 1 tablespoon Worcestershire sauce
Stir in about 1/2 cup ketchup
Add salt to taste (if desired - I desired, and added quite a bit!)
Stir again, cover and let simmer until it makes the whole house smell wonderful!
(about an hour, I guess)

Serve with chunks of cheddar cheese, tortilla chips or crackers, and sour cream.
Yum!

If you're like Marvin, be sure to take some Pepsid AC before you eat! lol

Enjoy!

No comments: