Sunday, September 11, 2005

I'm Making A Craft Room! Yippee!

Well, I'm finally starting to make my craft room. FINALLY! I've been wanting a room just for crafting ever since I was a young girl, I think. I have SO many craft projects scattered all over my house right now, that it has become a necessary thing. My husband is so sweet and supportive. He wants me to have a space for all my stuff, and I just love him for it!

I've been scouring the internet for the past 5 months or so to get ideas on setting up my craft room. I've seen lots of great pictures and ideas for sewing rooms, knitting rooms, and craft rooms. My room will be for all those things. Knitting, Sewing, Spinning, Embroidery, Needlepoint, and just relaxing. About 2 or 3 times a year, one of our kids might need to visit with us. So, if that happens, we can put a mattress on the floor and let them sleep in that room. But, for most of the time, it will be Sandy's Craft Room! I'm so excited.

Right now, I'm painting the walls and planning the layout of the room. I decided what pieces of furniture I want to include, and measured the dimensions for each item, then measured the floor space of the room (10 feet x 14 feet). After that, I made cut-outs of each item and moved them around on a piece of cardboard (appropriately sized) to make my final layout design. I'm very pleased with the way it is planned so far. I'll have my computer and tv, a cutting table for sewing, rocking chair, spinning wheel, sewing table, shelving unit, ironing board, bookshelves (3 of them!) and yarn storage cabinets. It all fits perfectly on the plan sheet. Alert the media!

The room has been used as a bedroom in the past, but now is just a big mess. I've taken out most of the junk and placed the large furniture in the middle of the room. I spent most of the day today taking down the old wallpaper border at the top of the wall. (What a pain!) There was so much dust flying everywhere that I thought I was going to sneeze my head off. Now I have a headache from all the congestion and sneezing. (I'm allergic to dust mites)

I took some pictures today of the BEFORE room. My hubby, Marvin was playing the Gamecube before I disconnected it, so I included him in some of the shots. As you can see, the room has a LONG way to go. I'm still trying to decide if I'll paint the walls pink or peach.

Tomorrow, I plan on doing my best to get rid of some of the dust and plastering the imperfections in the walls. I'll have to let that dry overnight, and then I'll be sanding the walls and cleaning them with TSP. That prep work takes forever, but the walls look spotless when you're done. So, that means I should be painting on color by Tuesday or Wednesday. I can't wait to get the walls done so I can start setting everything up. I've got Christmas crafts to make!

No comments: