Friday, September 23, 2005

Remembering My Younger Years



I've been thinking about my life a lot lately. I've spent a good portion of my life at the piano or organ, performing all kinds of music. My first paying job was as the pianist at Wilson Grove Baptist Church. I was 15 years old, and was so excited about making $50 a week playing music! It was a great experience for me. The music minister, Bill Mills, was a wonderful man who took me under his wing and taught me so much. I truly respected him and admired his family. His wife, Peg was so sweet. She and Bill would have me over to visit anytime I wanted. I considered them to be my second family. The organist at the church was named Karen Price. She was a jewel. She and I did organ-piano duets for every service - We even did a concert once!

Now, it's 26 years later, and I've worked for many churches as pianist or organist or choir director. My experiences have been as varied as the churches. I've performed for over 200 weddings, played organ for televised services, and sung solos for a crowd of over 4000 people. It's been fun.

No comments: